Nonprofit Practice Group
JDS Professional Group is a progressive dynamic firm, committed to the highest standards of excellence in service and technical proficiency. As part of our commitment to being a dynamic firm in an ever-changing environment, we were one of the first firms in the United States to develop a nonprofit industry focus group. While our nonprofit clients vary from small charitable organizations to large, international membership associations they all share a desire to work with a reputable accounting firm that is well-versed in the special needs of tax-exempt organizations.
Since our Nonprofit Practice Group's primary focus is serving the nonprofit sector, we have built a significant nonprofit sector client base and service history. JDS Professional Group presently serves as auditors for many of the major Colorado nonprofit organizations, membership and trade associations, and is well recognized for its nonprofit and association practice.
JDS Professional Group has served more than 200 nonprofit clients of various types and size. The scope of our practice allows us to provide our nonprofit clients with recommendations based upon our experience and vie of many clients addressing similar issues.
Summary of JDS Nonprofit Services
|JDS Professional Group is a leading firm in nonprofit sector services in the Western United States. We have service experience with a broad range of nonprofit clients:
- Public and private foundations
- Trade associations and all types of membership organizations
- Professional societies
- Health care providers, associations and nonprofit hospitals
- Voluntary health and welfare organizations
- Arts and cultural organizations
- Community organizations
- Religious organizations and churches
- Educational organizations
- Civic leagues
- Homeless support organizations
- Agricultural organizations
- Homeowners' groups and associations
- Industry promotion boards
- Fraternities and sororities
- Social and membership clubs
- Fraternal benefit societies
- Fraternal life insurance organizations
- Historical societies and museums
- Charitable remainder and annuity trusts
Nonprofit Audit and Review Services
|We are a firm with the ability to provide frank, informative recommendations and have made the commitment to perform consistently thorough nonprofit sector audits:
- Many CPA firms consider nonprofit audit engagements "discount" engagements which may be used to keep staff busy during slack periods, etc. We do not take that approach. Although we make every possible effort toward efficiency in order to minimize client fee cost, we invest in our practice by hiring high caliber professionals and by making sure they have the necessary expertise and training. By staffing our engagements with seasoned professionals, we can make significant observations and recommendations relative to assisting our clients in acheiving their organization’s objectives.
- Our firm has maintained the same level of competent professional service since our founding in 1983. Our size and firm structure allow us to remain flexible and responsible while providing our clients the necessary expertise and resources. We are committed to remaining a high quality, independent, locally controlled and operated firm.
Nonprofit Tax Services
|JDS Professional Group offers a full complement of tax compliance and planning services. Due to our concentration in the nonprofit area, we are experienced with exempt organization compliance, employer payroll and fringe benefit issues, and tax planning strategies that minimize an organization's exposure to tax liability. The following is a sample listing of engagements we have performed in the nonprofit tax area:
Exempt status consulting and filing applications requesting exempt status for all types of nonprofit organizations.
- Consulting to minimize unrelated business taxable income, including advertising income, sales, manufacturing and other revenue sources.
- Maximizing tax benefits for donors, planned giving arrangements and assistance with the tax aspects of unusual gift arrangements.
- For-profit subsidiary strategies to minimize the impact of unrelated business income.
- Joint venture structures for consortium activities and similar structures.
- State property tax exemptions and tax impact of facilities leasing.
- Sales and local tax issues regarding sale of materials.
- Private foundation status, taxation and reporting requirements.
- Retirement and employee benefit plans for exempt organizations.
- Funds distribution systems, controls and monitoring systems.
Additional Nonprofit Services
We offer various management advisory services to complement our nonprofit audit and tax practice.
- Installation, training and support of nonprofit accounting systems which provide for timely and accurate financial reporting.
- Design reporting systems on a functional and objective basis as required for nonprofit reporting purposes.
- Perform internal control reviews and assist in the documentation of procedures manuals to ensure an adequate system of internal control.
- Assist in relevant cost analysis for nonprofit organizations. Such analysis presents information necessary to determine the feasibility of various projects or programs.
Assist organizations with the development of technology based structures for NPO enterprise operations, reporting, donor development and other applications.